Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Reading Survey

Reading survey Please fill out each question and bring back to class on Thursday 9/5/12. 1. How many times per week do you read outside of class time? 2. Do you prefer to read non-fiction, fiction, books, novels, short stories, comic books, newspapers, etc.? Explain why you enjoy reading them. 3. Are you comfortable reading in front of your peers? Explain why or why not. 4. Do you have any reading strategies that help you read better? Do you highlight words that give you trouble and look them up in a dictionary later? Explain. 5. Do you enjoy reading information about health and fitness? 6. On a scale of 1 – 10, 1 being dislike and 10 being you love to read, describe where you are on this scale. I had the students fill out this survey as a homework assignment. The reason why I had them do this as a homework assignment is because we had fitness testing this week, and I did not want to eliminate any class time for students to get their fitness testing done. This way they can take it home and take their time on it, answering each question with their best effort. I learned that there are some students who enjoy reading a lot, and other students who do not like to read. The female students are into more of the Twilight series and the Hunger Games. The males are more into sports or comics. I actually had a conversation with some of the male students about comic books and they were really into it. Most students answered they will read if it is something they are interested in. I think we all feel the same. A lot of the students answered that they are interested in health and fitness, but do not like to read their health books. Since the students have a class day for P.E. I will not be there because their class day is on Monday. It is going to be more difficult for me to do a lot of reading activities. However, with this information I thought of a way that I can add reading into my weekly lessons. For example, if students are learning about nutrition on Monday, I can select a variety of articles that they can choose from. That way students are reading about health articles that interest them. Rather than making students read assignments in their textbook. I can work with my cooperating teacher and can create questions that will relate to the material and help the students develop a better understanding of the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment